Fall In Tennessee

Fall In Tennessee

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Doing My Homework At Poppy's

During the week whenever Poppy picks me up I like to stop at Sonic first and get him to read me all of the names of the Slushes that they sell. Poppy makes it so much as he reads from the list adding names to the drinks as he reads, He has names like Blushing Cherry and Gushing Orange and Women Lemon, Gulping Grape, Red in the middle, green on top, makes your lips go flippity flop for Watermelon, just to name a few. I pick out my Slush and he orders it and then we are on our way home.














I like to get my homework done as soon as I get there so that I can play before my mommy picks me up. So I go to the kitchen table and get out my homework, and Poppy is right there to make sure I am doing it right.














As I write my spelling words Poppy spells out the letters as I write. Then as I right the next word he has me spell out the letters as I write. Then he checks my spelling words to make sure that I have done them correctly and that my penmanship is neat before we put them away in my notebook.














Grandmother just loves for Poppy to take my picture, but after a while it gets boring and Poppy says he can take boring pictures to. He is so funny sometimes, make that all the time, but hey, I wouldn't want it any other way.













  
When we start on my math homework, Poppy has me read aloud the instructions. We are doing word math problems in the first grade. Poppy laughs and said he didn't do word problems until he was in the third grade. I tell Poppy we do it in the first grade because we are smarter. ha ha ha!!














The first word math problem: Sue grew a flower that was a foot tall. And Tom grew a flower that was 11 inches tall. Whose flower was the tallest?________ How tall in inches was Sue's flower? ______














Poppy goes to find a foot ruler? What is a foot ruler, is it the same as a ruler? Well he couldn't find a foot ruler but he said he found a yard stick. Wonder why they call it a yard stick!? It would take a long time to measure the yard with that. He really needs a measuring tape for that. Oh well maybe he can help me after all.














He explains that a yard stick is three (3) feet long. He has me look at the yard stick and tell him how many inches is under where it says one (1) foot. I look, and then I say, twelve inches. Then he ask me how tall was Sue's flower. I look at the math problem and then I read one foot, the he asked me how many inches on the yard stick is one foot and I say 12. So he ask me, How tall in inches was Sue's flower? And I say 12 inches and then record the answer to my homework page. So if Sue's flower is 12 inches and Tom's flower is 11 inches tall, Who's flower  is the tallest? Sue's and I record that answer to my homework. We do this on every problem and it is so easy when you have the measuring stick to help you. Now I know that 12 inches is one foot, 24 inches is two foot and 36 inches is three foot.

Poppy is taller than two yard sticks and I am taller than one. Poppy how many yardsticks are you around?

I think it time to put away your finished homework and go play.

No comments: