Fall In Tennessee

Fall In Tennessee

Friday, November 15, 2013

Chloe Teaching Poppy

Ever since Chloe started to school she has told me that if I listen then I will learn. I have heard this message over and over since she first said it.

Every weekend when she come over to our house, I ask her what she learned in school this week and she never wants to tell me. But if I let her be the teacher and I act like I'm her student she will cover everything that she learned that week. This way I know what she is learning and it surely doesn't hurt to hear it again with such a sweet teacher.

Out of the blue she asks me do I know what a noun is. I am so stunned that she even knew the word that I couldn't answer her, when she replied with the answer. A noun identifys a person place or thing. Poppy listen to this sentence and I will tell you the nouns. The boy ran after the red ball. Boy and ball are the nouns in this sentence.

I didn't learn what a noun was until the fifth or sixth grade and here she is learning it in Kindergarten.

The next thing that she ask me is do I know what a Proper Noun is? Again she replied with A pronoun is a word that takes the place of a noun for subject, object, or possessive cases, like Palmer and Kroger's. I was even more impressed and I asked her how she learned it so quickly. She said that her teacher said her mind was like a camera and once she heard it it stayed in her memory. Other kids in her class had to memorize the definitions or write it several times to remember it. I let her know that her daddy was gifted like she is with learning new things just like she does.

Ok Poppy, "Do you know what a Pronoun is?" She then said that it was a word that replaces a noun or substitutes for a noun. Listen to this sentence and see if you can find the pronouns? He ran after the big red ball. He is the pronoun.

Now we will learn about adjectives? Do you know what an adjective is? Again before I could answer she was giving it to me because she thought I might not know. Adjectives are describing words in a sentence, like big and red in the sentence I gave you before.

Poppy,? "Did you know that there are seven continents that make up our world?" "There are seven continents and they are: Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America." I was so proud of her that I couldn't wait to tell Grandmother what she had learned this past week.

She said, "Now class we will sing some songs and I want you to listen so that you can learn the tune and the words to these songs I am going to sing." After singing several songs I started singing along with her and she said, "Poppy I haven't given you permission to sing yet and some of your words are different that what I am singing." "This is why you need to Listen so that you can Learn"

Listen And Learn, Maybe this is why God gave me two eyes and two ears and only one tongue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Palmer - I know that these blogs will be kept and treasured by Chloe. You sound like such a sweet grandfather. Blessings!