Fall In Tennessee

Fall In Tennessee

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"I Can Do It"

Chloe has always been one to say, "I can do it," and really back it up with action until the job is completed. She doesn't just say it and start the job, but she stays with it until the job is complete. A few weeks ago I was getting the house cleaned for first Sunday meeting and as I started cleaning she wanted to help me dust and vacuum. I gave her a dust cloth and she starts to dust everything and she does a through job. ( I went behind her to check her process.) When I started to vacuum she wanted to take over the job.
She does her task at hand with such focus on detail, and she has been this way since she was almost two.
What amazes me is that sometimes to me the task is something major, but she takes it all in stride and pushes through.
A couple of weeks ago when we picked her up from Pre-K on Friday she announced that when she went to Great Grandmother's house on Sunday "she" was going to feed Great Grandmother her lunch. She knows that Great Grandmother can't feed herself and she has always feed her a snack or given her water but never fed her. After meeting she got everything out and set the table for lunch. She does an excellent job of the plates and silverware, but she will get more condiments for the table than needed. I thought that she would want to eat and then feed Great Grandmother some food, but no she pulled up her chair to G.Grandmothers and got the plate ready and after the blessing she started feeding her. She fed her, her complete meal. This was completed before she would even eat her own meal. I don't know who was more proud of the completed job, her or us. I know one thing for sure that G.Grandmother was very pleased. So now we come to this past weekend. We were sitting on the deck and Debby (Grandmother) said that the hedges looked like they could use a little trimming. I went and got the hedge clippers and extension cord, and Grandmother got the small hand clippers, broom and a bucket to put the clippings in so we could do the hedges. Chloe was playing in the yard and feeding her ducks so it was a great time to do the job at hand.
She is arguing with the geese to stay out of her yard that the bread that she has put out are for the ducks and the baby ducklings ONLY. The empty flower pot is her warning for the geese that she means business.
I think she finally heard the sound of the clippers and came up on the deck to investigate the job that we were doing, Grandmother and I and she tells grandmother, "I can do it" and grandmother shows her how to use the had clippers as well as instructing her on good safety habits when using them. She starts trimming the hedges that are sticking through onto the inside of the deck on both sides and then she takes the bucket for the clippings and turns it upside down for a stool so that she can work on the top of the hedges.
She starts on the top while I am trimming them on the ground, doing the front and sides. And I have to say she is doing a great job of it.
She goes about each job that she does with such gusto, that you would think that she was much older. I think back to when I was her age and I may have wanted to help but it wasn't long before something else got my attention.
We got the job completed, with much "Thanks" to my big helper. She had to sweep the deck and help put everything back in place. We finished with a "Job well done." I told Chloe that for her helping out that tomorrow morning we would go to the park.

No comments: