Fall In Tennessee

Fall In Tennessee

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Poppy, Let Me Drive, I think I Can!

I remember back when I was a child the privilege of getting to sit in the front seat of the car. Sometimes whenever I got to sit in the front seat my dad would either let me change the gears or steer the wheel as we went down the driveway. I felt so privileged whenever I did this.














We also sat in seats without seat belts and the cars that we rode in were built like tanks. We would lay down in the back seat and sleep, play, or just ride and let our minds wander.Sometimes we even lay up in the back window of the car and watched our world pass by in a blurr.














If there were a bunch of kids we would sit in the back of our station wagon with the sead folded down and we could then play games as we rode down the road.














Kids of today don't know what they are missing. We have cars with airbags in the dash, steering wheel, doors, seats and in the seat belts. We have cushion material in the dashes, seat belts, child seats, safety glass, self parking, side sensors, blind spot sensors and self braking just to mention a few and yet our children are restrained in the rear seats of the car until they get to be a certain age and weight.














So it's easy to understand why they want to drive the car because they see their parents doing it and all kids want to be like their parents when they are little.














We were out in the garage and Chloe had been riding her scooter and her bike when all of a sudden she decided that she wanted to sit in the driver's seat of our SUV and play like she was driving it.














She opens the door and climbs in, as she sits in the seat she sees that the seat is too far back so she readjusts her seat then she adjusts the rear view mirror and then the door mirrors. Tilts down the wheel to be comfortable for her and then asks me for the keys. I ask her why she wants the key and her reply is to change the radio station from mine to her kind of music.














I let her know that I don't have the keys and that she will have to play like she has set the radio to her favorite station.













 
I then ask her where she is going, and she said that she has to go to Macy's because today is the start of their big sale. I ask, "How do you know this?" She looks at me like I am crazy and said, "It has been all over the T.V. and in the ads in the newspaper!"














Wether, I want to believe it or not, my little granddaughter is growing up so fast. I am just glad that I can enjoy each time I have with her because she is so precious.

No comments: